- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (112 g) vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups (408 g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar (for icing)
- 2 tbsp coconut milk (for icing)
- In the microwave at 30 sec increment, heat the milk and 3 tbsp butter until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add 1 tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
- Next add in flour 1/2 cup (68 g) at a time, stirring as you go. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with some oil, and add your dough ball back in. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 3 tbsp melted butter and top with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon.
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife, cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch sections and position in a oven-proof pan. Brush with remaining 2 tbsp melted butter and cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Frost with or a simple mixture of 1 cup (112 g) powdered sugar and 1-2 tbsp (15-30 ml) milk
Recipe taken from Minimalist Baker.
This recipe was supposed to yield 10 rolls, but my first attempt resulted in 16 and the second in 20.