- 100g vermicelli, broken into pieces for roasting
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cardamom pods
- 1 cup whole milk (plus extra if needed)
- 1/2 cup single cream
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup orange raisins
- In a frying pan, melt the ghee over a medium heat and roast the vermicelli noodles for up to 5 minutes until it turns golden. Take off the heat once it’s done.
- In a separate pan, heat the milk and cream with coconut, raisins, sugar and whole spices and let it gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once the milk and spices have completely combined, remove the bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and cardamon pods and then pour in the vermicelli and fold in.
- Continue to cook for 5 minutes over a medium-high flame.
- Serve immediately. When reheating, add extra milk to prevent the shemai from drying. (we had it for breakfast with paratha after Eid!)