If you know me in person then you’ll know one thing about me, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MR PRETZEL’S CINNAMON AND SUGAR PRETZELS. Trust me, I like to convince myself I’m going to start eating clean like once every hour but then I’ll go shopping and smack bang in the middle of the shopping centre will be the cart of pretzels and that’s it, I’m weak. So yes. Sugar and cinnamon. I would go weak in the knees for that combination.
So, of course when my mother arrived home the other day with a doughnut making kit (this one to be precise, grab it while it’s on sale!), I WAS INSPIRED. Out of that inspiration came these glorious and ‘healthy’ (oven baked) cinnamon and sugar doughnuts. Here’s how you can make some of your own!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar (topping)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (topping)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (topping)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease the moulds and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a medium bowl. Set aside. Whisk the egg, brown sugar, milk, and yogurt together until smooth. Add the melted butter and vanilla, whisking until fully combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. The batter will be very thick.
- Using a piping bag (or a bag with the corner cut off) pipe the batter into each donut cup, filling 2 ∕ 3 –3 ∕ 4 of the way full.
- Bake for 9–10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool for about two minutes and transfer to a wire rack.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Dip the donuts in the melted butter, then dunk into the cinnamon sugar mixture coating all sides. Donuts are best served immediately.