If you’ve followed me long enough, you’ll know I love a bit of drama – even if it is just through reinventing apparent complex desserts in the simplest possible way. And believe me when I say this, these rose apples bring the right level of drama to parties, events, or even when treating yourself.
- 3 apples, thinly sliced
- 2 sheets of puffed pastries, thawed and cut each sheet into 6 equal slices
- 6 tbsp Bramley apple sauce
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Fill a medium sized bowl half full of water and squeeze the lemon juice into the water. Place the sliced apples in the water and microwave for 5 minutes until slightly tender.
- Drain the apples into a colander.
- Mix the apple sauce and water together in a bowl.
- One at a time, spoon the sauce mixture onto a slice of pastry.
- Place 7-9 apple slices along one half of the pastry slice with the peel side facing out.
- Fold the pastry in half to cover the apples.
- Starting on one end, roll the pastry and apples to the other end of the pastry.
- Place in a greased muffin tin and continue with the other pieces of pastries until you have 12 apple roses.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar combination if desired.
- Place a pan of water on the bottom rack of oven so the bottom of pastries do not burn and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with a little powered sugar before serving.
These rose apples always go down a treat and I’m sure you’ll love them as much as we all do! Let me know how you get on!