As mush as I love the rich buttercream and cream cheese frostings, sometimes you just gotta take a break and take it right back to the good old days of basic vanilla cupcakes with a simple fruit toping and a sprinkle of icing sugar. These are super simple, super quick, and frankly, adorable.
- 120g butter, softened
- 120g caster sugar
- 120g self-raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Chopped fruits of your choosing
- 1tsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk (if necessary)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases – or grease well if baking without a case.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and mix in along with the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are 1/4 full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes. Then place on a wire rack.
- Top with chopped fruits of your choosing and sprinkle with a little icing sugar for added sweetness.
Like I mentioned yesterday, I’m super into easy desserts and things that look fab even though little to no effort has gone into them and these cupcakes most definitely fall into that category! Though I hope to get back into the icing game soon, I’m not terribly fussed and could probably live with fruity cupcakes for a while.
As usual guys, let me know when you make these so I can see you all making your food look WAY better than mine because I have noticed all you cute af food photographers out there!
Happy cooking, my loves!